Friday, October 8, 2010

Trips

When I arrived at Dartmouth, I was the second kid from my DOC trip section to arrive. And when I finished signing my name, the first had already gone to the bathroom, which left me standing by myself in front of Robinson Hall, surrounded by the florid colors of H-Croo.

In case you don't know, H-Croo is a group of about twenty sophomores, juniors, and seniors at Dartmouth in charge of welcoming the new freshman to campus and sending them out on their trips. And in order to make sure that the freshman don't feel awkward, each H-Croo dresses in flair, a style of dress unique to Dartmouth. In a nutshell, flair equals ridiculousness. Typical attire for a guy: pink spandex tights, a tutu, tie-dyed shirt, and flaming red hair. Any article of shockingly, obnoxiously bright clothing is perfect. 

I surveyed the scene. The members of H-Croo were jumping around, dancing to blasting pop music. Artists of choice: Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Katy Perry. I turned back to the registration desk and awkwardly asked "So what do I do now?"

The response: "Just chat, dance, do whatever! And all the people with crazy hair really want to be your friend."

By this time, more '14s (what my class will be called during our four years at Dartmouth) had shown up, and I had other confused freshman to talk to. I wasn't yet comfortable with dancing to Ke$ha, but neither were many of the other '14s. I talked, made friends, ate dinner, met the rest of my specific trip, and the next morning set off to spend a few days in the woods.

My trip was cabin-camping, and although it was little less intense than the others, (psycho socialization vs. psycho hiking) sitting in a cabin for days was one of the best ways to be forced to become great friends with a random group of people. And besides, when it's raining and cold, wouldn't you want a roof over your head?

I don't want to spoil more about what happens on trips, but let me say it was the absolute best introduction I could have had to college. It's the kind of thing you can't explain, but have to experience before you can understand the magic (and the dancing).

No comments:

Post a Comment