Sunday, November 7, 2010

Homecoming!

Biking around on campus on Friday before the bonfire, I could legitimately feel the spirit on campus. Everybody was wearing green, and the campus suddenly seemed crowded due to the influx of visiting alumni. Plus, the leaves had suddenly decided to change colors the day before, so the beautiful New England Fall had just hit campus. In short, I could sense Dartmouth's excitement for Homecoming.

Looking back on the weekend, I can say that both the freshman sweep and the bonfire were both unforgettable experiences (Homecoming traditions: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~shmen/dartmouthtraditions.html). Since I live in the farthest dorm cluster, my dorm-mates and I started the sweep. Therefore, I was at the front of the pack once all the other freshmen had joined. Whenever I happened to look behind me, all I could see was a sea of (Big) Green. Literally everybody in the parade was cheering and yelling, and I felt such a strong bond to my whole class. Perhaps the most exciting moment of the sweep occurred while marching through Hanover. Every time we passed by a group of town residents, they would respond enthusiastically by cheering and waving. It was obvious they were so excited to witness the initiation of another freshman class at Dartmouth.

After the sweep, we all marched into the center of the green and waited for the bonfire to be lit. I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about the fire. In case you don't know, it's Dartmouth tradition for a mob of upperclassmen to surround the bonfire and taunt the racing freshmen. I'd heard stories about jewelry getting ripped off, people getting tripped, and even clothes melting from the heat (doubtful?). I'd even recently read an article in the D (http://thedartmouth.com/2010/10/15/news/bonfire), claiming that some upperclassmen wanted to change the whole bonfire experience because it was too stressful for some freshmen. Although all my older friends assured me that I would never forget the bonfire, I still found myself a little scared/nervous as the fire started to creep up the wooden structure. To top it all off, I'm currently in a walking cast because of a stress fracture, so I really didn't want to be forced to run at all.

Thankfully, the bonfire did not live up it's (dreadful?) expectations. Sure, the upperclassmen screamed at us, but I had just as much fun yelling back at them and being proud of my class! No, my clothes did not melt, and traffic jams of people gave me the opportunity to hobble around the fire a few times before anybody could actually run. Upperclassmen in my a cappella group even sprinted into the ring to do a lap with me!

Homecoming was the first time I witnessed the depth of the student body's passion for Dartmouth. It couldn't be any more accurate that everyone here LOVES Dartmouth, and I know I feel exactly the same way.

P.S. the bonfire was HUGE. Here's a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dartmouthflickr/5128189653/



No comments:

Post a Comment