Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Classes

I realize I haven't even addressed the point of coming to college: the classes!

Fall term I took:

  • Math 23 - Differential Equations 
  • Writing 5
  • Biology 11
Of the three, my favorite by far was Writing 5. The class is a introductory writing class required of most Dartmouth freshman. Each different section of the class focuses on a different topic, but the overall primary purpose of the course is improving student writing. Mine was on medical ethics, and I only decided to take it on a whim. However, the readings were fascinating and surprisingly eye-opening. My professor, Andrea Kremer, led wonderful discussions, and she was absolutely dedicated to helping out her students. Everyone had 30-minute one-on-one conferences with her to go over each essay before the due date, and she consistently made herself available to meet student demand. Overall, I loved the class, and I feel like my academic writing improved significantly in a period of only ten weeks.

The other two courses were much more traditional lecture courses. Bio 11 was huge (~170 students), and it's probably one of the biggest classes I'll take here. Here's a link to an explanation of what Bio 11 actually is - it's not at all like normal introductory biology. Math 23 was a normal math class: lots of lectures and problem sets. As a possible math major, I really enjoyed the class.

This winter, my classes are:
  • My Freshman Seminar: The Pentagon Papers
  • Spanish 10
  • Biology 13
I'll write more about these courses closer to the end of the term!

No comments:

Post a Comment