Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Perfect College Town

Last week I got really sick for my first time at Dartmouth. I woke up on Sunday with a bad fever, chills, aches, and a sore throat: the classic symptoms of the flu. I tried to go to class on Monday, and after suffering through Spanish, I decided to get myself checked out at Dick's House. Shockingly, I had a 103.1 degree fever, and I quarantined myself to my dorm room. I did not leave my room once on Tuesday, and instead spent the whole day watching the entire first season of Dexter (12 hour-long episodes from start to finish). It was a lazy day.

My mom, being the worrier she is, was freaking out over how I'd be able to get anything to eat. Living in the River, being sick, and having to walk on crutches make eating a difficult feat. So my mom decided to call Lou's, a restaurant in Hanover, and beg them to bring me food. Apparently my mom and the owner really connected, because she ended up bringing me a care package of food and drinks all the way to my dorm. She even walked up three flights of stairs to help me get everything to my room. The restaurant doesn't normally deliver, but the owner was willing to bring me food on her own time to ensure I could eat.

Obviously, Dartmouth and Hanover really do go hand in hand. The town is such a part of the Dartmouth experience, and I've already started to feel such a connection to this tiny place.

No comments:

Post a Comment